Wednesday 11 November 2015

Where do I come from?




We are not human if we don't wonder about our heritage, and even though we are all made of atoms and star dust, we also carry within our DNA the patterns and coding of our ancestors.  Sometimes I find myself thinking of all these long lines of people, stretching back in a linear, fanned-out pattern behind me and wish I could speak to them and ask them the myriad of questions I have. But, I can't, obviously...  But I can see where I originate thanks to my DNA!


This is my 23andMe result showing my sub-regional breakdown:




This is my split view (23andMe) showing what I inherited from both my mum and my dad.







This is the Ancestry.com breakdown:







And this is the Family Tree DNA version:





Clearly I'm 100% European but some of those results are a little different and it's to do with the different testing (can't remember the correct terminology) that they use... apparently the Ancestry.com 'Irish' result is often English because their 3% is remarkably low when about 80% of my known ancestors were born there!

No comments:

Post a Comment